Essentials of Data Practices for Responsible Authorities
Registration, 8:30 a.m.; Training, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Members: $65 per person
Nonmembers: $105 per person
EVENT FULL. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
TO BE ADDED TO THE WAITING LIST, CONTACT MCIT AT REGISTRATION@MCIT.ORG.
Individuals designated as responsible authorities under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MGDPA) are tasked with the duty of ensuring that their government entities comply with the Act’s requirements for transparency, data privacy and data security. “Essentials of Data Practices for Responsible Authorities,” led by Minnesota Department of Administration Data Practices Office staff, provides responsible authorities and their designees with the foundation they need to take on the duties of the Act, as well as offers best practices to assist in day-to-day MGDPA administration.
Minnesota Government Data Practices Act basics: Overview of the duties of a responsible authority and data compliance officer, and the basic definitions of data and data classifications
Policies and procedures: Developing data access and security policies and procedures, maintaining data inventories, and working with elected officials and staff to ensure MGDPA compliance
Responding to data requests: Best practices for responding to data requests under the MGDPA, including:
- denying access
- managing complex requests
- separating private and public data
- recovering costs
- managing nonpublic data on minors
- creating summary data
- requesting a temporary classification of data
- special considerations for personnel data
Accuracy and completeness challenges: Overview of the accuracy and completeness challenge process and best practices for responding to a challenge
Data breach requirements—investigation and notification: Discussion of the definition of “data breach” under the MGDPA, breach investigation and notification requirements, and annual comprehensive security assessments
- Stacie Christensen, director of the Data Practices Office, Minnesota Department of Administration
- Katie Bealka, policy analyst with the Data Practices Office, Minnesota Department of Administration
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is specifically designed for individuals designated as a public entity’s responsible authority and the responsible authority’s designee. An individual may be the responsible authority if he or she is the:
- county administrator or coordinator
- county auditor
- county attorney
- SWCD district manager
- joint powers executive director
- social services director
- veterans services officer
- other elected official
- person designated by the governing board to be the responsible authority
- Download Essentials of Data Practices for Responsible Authorities brochure for full details
- Contact MCIT at 1.866.547.6516 with questions.
Fees may be submitted at any time. They need not accompany your registration form. An invoice will be issued for any fees not paid by the training session date. If you require a signed voucher to submit payment, please forward it to MCIT. We do not accept credit cards.
Cancellation Policy: Individuals registered for training sessions will not be billed for cancellations made at least one week prior to the session. Cancellations received after the deadline will be billed for the entire registration fee.