Law Enforcement Liability: Tackling Workforce Issues (2018)
Registration, 8:30 a.m.; Training 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Registration fee: $65 per person (includes materials, lunch and refreshments)
Co-sponsored by Minnesota Sheriffs′ Association and Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust
For sheriffs, there is more to running the county’s law enforcement office than just enforcing laws. Sheriffs must manage a workforce engaged in specialized community service. Co-sponsored by the Minnesota Sheriffs’ Association and MCIT, “Law Enforcement Liability: Tackling Workforce Issues” addresses unique issues that sheriffs and their leadership staff encounter when managing their workforce. Each session provides practical tips to mitigate risks.
- Managing Your Workforce in a Post-Weinstein Environment, presented by Kristi Hastings, Pemberton, Sorlie, Rufer & Kershner PLLP: An overview of laws related to sexual harassment, when investigations are needed and potential legal actions that can arise from such claims.
Managing Your Workforce When Personal Communication and Professional Obligations Collide, presented by Jessica Schwie, Jardine, Logan & O’Brien PLLP: Frequently, questions arise regarding whether corrective/disciplinary action may be taken when an employee’s personal expression affect the credibility and efficiency of the sheriff’s office. This session discusses the intersection of an employees’ right to free speech and management’s ability to manage its workforce.
- Managing Your Workforce: Whistleblowers, presented by Cally Kjellberg-Nelson, Quinlivan & Hughes P.A.: his session addresses various whistleblower laws and offers risk management advice when providing corrective action to an individual who is entitled to such protections.
- Managing Your Workforce: Jails, presented by Stephanie Angolkar, Iverson Reuvers Condon: Whether to handle medical/mental health care with internal staff or contracting with a third party to handle some of these responsibilities is a common issue for jails. This session explains some pros and cons of each option.
- Recommended audience: Minnesota sheriffs and management staff in the sheriff’s office
- Download the event brochure for more details about the sessions.
- POST and CLE credits will be applied for
- Questions about registration: Contact MCIT at email@example.com or 1.866.547.6516
- Questions about seminar: Contact MCIT Communications Manager Heather Larson-Blakestad at 1.866.547.6516, ext. 6430 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees may be submitted at any time. They need not accompany your registration form. An invoice will be issued for any fees not paid by the training session date. If you require a signed voucher to submit payment, please forward it to MCIT. We do not accept credit cards.
Cancellation Policy: Individuals registered for training sessions will not be billed for cancellations made at least one week prior to the session. Cancellations received after the deadline will be billed for the entire registration fee.