Managing the Human Resource
June 3 registration at 8:30 a.m. and training 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; June 4 training 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
MCIT members: $110 per person
Nonmembers: $150 per person
Canceled due to COVID-19 large-group gathering recommendations.
This popular two-day seminar explores topics related to the risks employees pose to a public employer and how to manage them. Managing the Human Resource sessions include in-depth discussions of hot-button topics and case law updates.
- Hiring, including Veterans Preference Act, reference checks, do’s and don’ts of interviews, and more
- Personnel policies
- Employee orientation
- Laws related to data (Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, records retention and electronic data, Driver’s Privacy Protection Act)
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employee rights, including Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Veterans Preference Act in discharge and demotion, USERRA, nondiscrimination
- Performance evaluations, discipline and discharge
This seminar is appropriate for anyone whose job requires them to supervise others and make personnel decisions in a public sector environment, especially those new to this role. This is not intended for seasoned human resources professionals. Suggested attendees:
- Department heads and other supervisory staff
- County commissioners
- County administrators/coordinators
- County attorneys
- County auditors/auditor-treasurers
- Highway engineers
- Nursing home and hospital directors
- Public health directors
- Risk managers
- Social services directors
- SWCD supervisors and district managers
Fees may be submitted at any time. They need not accompany your registration form. An invoice will be issued for any fees not paid by the training session date. If you require a signed voucher to submit payment, please forward it to MCIT. We do not accept credit cards.
Cancellation Policy: Individuals registered for training sessions will not be billed for cancellations made at least one week prior to the session. Cancellations received after the deadline will be billed for the entire registration fee.