Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust
- Full time, exempt
- Location: St. Paul, Minn. office, with potential for remote work
- Background check required (criminal, civil, bankruptcy)
Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust (MCIT) offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) pension and optional Section 457(b) deferred compensation program
- Group health and dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness program eligibility: MCIT employees may qualify for this federal program to forgive student loan debt
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Optional employee-paid life and vision insurance
- Free off-street parking provided
The finance manager is key to helping MCIT carry out its mission of providing cost-effective coverage with comprehensive and quality risk management services to its members by providing leadership to MCIT’s finance department.
MCIT is a joint powers government entity made up of Minnesota counties and associated public entities that pool resources to provide property, liability, auto and workers’ compensation coverage to members. MCIT offers a collaborative work environment and excellent benefits, including a pension plan.
Under the direction of the executive director, the finance manager is responsible for the accounting and financial reporting duties for MCIT. This supervisory position requires knowledge of advanced accounting principles and the ability to perform a full charge accounting function in a public entity pool environment. This position is also responsible for internal employee benefits administration.
The following are common duties of the finance manager:
- Administering finance and accounting functions related to self-administration of workers’ compensation and property/casualty (liability) coverage
- Development of accounting policies and procedures including chart of accounts maintenance and account reconciliation methods and procedures
- Ensuring that the finance and accounting procedures are compliant with applicable accounting standards, regulations, legal requirements and industry best practices
- Presenting financial reports to the MCIT board of directors and membership
- Audit oversight and reporting to the State Auditor
- Implementing financial and accounting tasks, including yearend accruals and audit work paper preparation
- Preparing internal and external financial statements, including the management discussion and analysis for the annual audited report
- Assisting with annual budget preparation
- Administering payroll functions and tasks
- Responsible for internal employee benefits administration, including enrollment and maintenance
- Providing direct supervision of finance department staff accountant and human resources/payroll accountant
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- At least three years of relevant experience in accounting or finance
- At least three years of experience working with an automated accounting system
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Two or more years of supervisory experience
- Experiencing manipulating financial data in different formats with a high degree of integrity
- Experience with human resources and payroll systems
- Experience with public-sector fund accounting principles
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel
Download the Finance Manager Position Description for a full list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
- All applicants must complete an online employment application and provide a cover letter and résumé. Applicants must indicate how their experience meets the required qualifications of the position. Résumés without applications and cover letters will not be accepted.
- Application deadline: Open until Oct. 7, 2022, unless filled earlier; submission deadline for first review is Sept. 16, 2022
- Applicants who want to claim veterans preference must complete the Veterans Preference Claim form.
Direct questions to Linda Podritz, director of internal services, at email@example.com or 651.209.6400.
MCIT is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.mcit.org.