Updated March 31, 2021
MCIT is committed to providing critical services to its members and partners during this time of national concern regarding the spread of COVID-19. MCIT is also concerned about the health and safety of its employees, the ability to respond to member expectations, as well as legal and financial obligations of the organization. Like so many other organizations, MCIT has implemented a business continuity plan.
Claims Processed and Managed
Priority has been given to claims operations. Members must still submit incidents to MCIT through the member portal at MCIT.org. Work-related injuries and illnesses will be given the highest priority. Employees presently receiving benefits will see no disruption in payments.
MCIT will participate in hearings, mediations, trials and all other court proceedings as required by the Minnesota judicial system. The Minnesota judicial branch is coordinating closely with statewide partners regarding operations in light of COVID-19. Defense firms are also activating plans to provide services.
Training Events Canceled or Presented Virtually
In-person training services have been suspended for the duration of the pandemic. Speaker services (on-site training) are available for some topics in a virtual format. Contact Communications Manager Heather Larson-Blakestad for more information or check out the options available from loss control consultants.
Consultants Available Remotely
MCIT has suspend in-person meetings, training and ergonomic assessments to reduce the potential transfer of the virus. Loss control and risk management staff are available via e-mail and phone for consultation. Consultants are also available to present staff training remotely. Learn more about topics and how to schedule virtual safety training. Special arrangements for personal visits may be made on a case-by-case basis.
Property Appraisals Resuming
The final phase of on-site property appraisals began in early 2020, but were suspended due to the pandemic. Members in this final phase who were not visited by Duff & Phelps last year will have their buildings appraised in early 2021. Those members have received notification from MCIT for planning purposes.
MCIT appreciates each member’s assistance in this important project. Questions about the appraisal process can be directed to MCIT Underwriting Manager Gary Severson at 1.866.547.6516, ext. 6410 or email@example.com.
MCIT Building Use
Although MCIT takes great pride in its facility and continues to practice preventive cleaning as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), MCIT believes it is necessary temporarily to suspend all meetings in the building to further minimize potential exposure of visitors and staff to the COVID-19 virus.
MCIT regularly reassesses the status of COVID-19 to determine whether meetings can resume in the building.
MCIT has suspended accepting new reservations for meeting rooms until further notice.
Below are links to additional information that may be helpful while members work to manage operations during COVID-19.
- Defending Tough Budget Decisions
- Open Meeting Law Amended for Flexibility
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Resources
- Boiler, Presser Vessel Inspections Temporarily Suspended
- Always-listening Devices Pose Data Security Risk
- Workers’ Compensation: New Temporary COVID-19 Presumption
- Land Use Decisions, Public Hearings During Health Emergency
- Federal Government Provides Emergency Sick Leave
- Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act
- Telecommuting: Address Safety, Liability of Home-based Workers
- Safety Self-audit for Telecommuting
- Employee Assistance Program Offers Tips for Managing Responses During Abnormal Events
- Minnesota Department of Administration, Data Practices Office document Data Practices and Open Meeting Requirements During a State of Emergency
- OSHA Resources Regarding COVID-19
- Training for Employees Working from Home
MCIT Will Keep Members Informed of Developments
As circumstances change, MCIT may be making additional changes and will continue to communicate updates as they occur.