Commissioners’ service to the county and constituents can take a toll on their happiness, peace of mind or family life. Because of this, MCIT has established a professional consulting and counseling program specifically for commissioners/elected leaders and their families.
Known as CONFIDE, this program is a confidential, professional consulting and counseling service to support the wellbeing of local government leaders during difficult and challenging times.
It is offered as part of the MCIT Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and provided at no cost.
CONFIDE is delivered throughout the state by Sand Creek, MCIT’s partner in providing the EAP. This allows users to seek assistance near where they work or live or as far away as they want to go.
- Confidential counseling and consultation on issues related to public service, work and home life. Personal information and an individual’s use of the program are not shared.
- Short-term, solution-focused counseling for commissioners, spouses and other dependents.
- Pre-approved, qualified, professional, licensed counselors in every Minnesota county.
- Assistance in identifying long-term resources when needed.
- Sound advice and experienced wisdom in dealing with difficult situations.
Commissioners and other government leaders are encouraged to contact CONFIDE at 1.800.550.6248 if they experience circumstances with a peer, board as a whole or in their personal lives that they need help handling. Phones are answered 24 hours a day, every day to offer assistance.
Support for Many Issues
CONFIDE can help leaders with concerns related to:
- Leadership fatigue
- Stress of public life
- Peer-to-peer interpersonal conflict
- Impact of elected life on family
- Feelings of being overwhelmed
- Regret and dissatisfaction
- Communication breakdown
Additional professional concerns CONFIDE addresses personal issues, too:
- Depression and anxiety
- Grief and loss
- Family issues
- Financial concerns
- Substance abuse
- Proven to Help
Past users of the EAP have been overwhelmingly happy with the assistance they received: 92 percent felt better able to deal with the situation that led them to call for assistance; and 95 percent reported that as a direct result of the EAP services, they were able to do better at work.
One EAP user commented, “I am grateful for this program.”
Elected leaders of MCIT members can contact CONFIDE any time at 1.800.550.6248 for no-cost consultation and counseling.
Members who have questions about the program should contact MCIT Deputy Director Steve Nelson at 1.866.547.6516 ext. 6411 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Informational brochures about CONFIDE are available at MCIT.org/employee-assistance-program/ or by calling MCIT toll-free 1.866.547.6516.