Promote Helpful Service to Employees
Despite being available for more than 20 years, many MCIT member employees are still unaware that they have access to no-cost, confidential counseling through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). MCIT provides members a variety of no-charge materials to help them promote this valuable service to their employees. Last month, MCIT released new posters, fliers and e-mails, which are available at MCIT.org.
The EAP offers MCIT member employees, elected officials, department heads, their spouses and dependents access to professional counselors for advice about personal issues or work-related concerns that may affect their ability to do their jobs. This program is voluntary and confidential, and is provided at no-cost.
History shows that the EAP benefits both employees and employers:
- 90 percent of EAP users in 2016 reported that as a direct result of the EAP services they received, they were able to do better at work.
- 91 percent of EAP users in 2016 felt better able to deal with the situation that led them to call for assistance.
- In the past two years, 27 people reported that the EAP gave them an alternative to filing a grievance or lawsuit.
Build Awareness with Multiple Materials
Given these benefits, it is worthwhile for members to take a small amount of time to promote the service to their employees and officials on an ongoing basis.
Wall posters, mini fliers and ready-to send e-mails highlight key features of the EAP. The quick-read items are designed to encourage use of the service when appropriate, while emphasizing that it is easy to use, confidential, voluntary and effective.
New and previously released display materials are available to download at MCIT.org/employee-assistance-
program/ for printing or electronic distribution directly to employees and officials.
Also available are wallet card and informational brochures for employees, supervisors and elected leaders. New this year is a flier explaining the coaching service for supervisors. Members can order these from MCIT at email@example.com or 1.866.547.6516.
Switch Up Promotions to Keep Message Fresh
Awareness of the EAP builds as members frequently provide information to their employees. Simply hanging a poster for a few weeks once a year is not enough for people to remember the program when they need it. Rather, it works best to use multiple formats and to put the message in front of employees every few weeks or months.
MCIT encourages members to get creative with how they use the materials to generate the largest impact. For example, a member could:
- review the EAP informational brochure with all new employees as part of their orientation.
- change out poster designs once a quarter in high-traffic areas (e.g., break rooms).
- distribute ready-to-send e-mail messages once a month to employees.
- hand out mini fliers at staff meetings or in payroll envelopes.
- post mini fliers, posters and employee
- brochure to the organization’s intranet.
More information about the Employee Assistance Program, including the Resilience II Training program, is provided at MCIT.org/employee-assistance-program/. Members should direct questions about the program to MCIT Deputy Director Steve Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.866.547.6516, ext. 6411.