Reporting to MCIT

Businessman working at his deskSubmitting Claims, Coverage Changes to MCIT Is Easy

Much of the information members must report to MCIT can be done through completing simple forms. Many can be submitted electronically. Members should call 1.866.547.6516 or e-mail MCIT with any questions they have about submitting claims, providing changes to property schedules, requesting certificates of coverage or completing other reporting requirements.

MCIT recommends that each member designate a general gatekeeper for reporting claims and data to MCIT. This person is typically the MCIT primary contact, property/casualty contact or workers’ compensation contact. 

Access the MCIT member portal to submit property, liability and some workers’ compensation claims (see below), make coverage changes, request certificates of coverage and view schedules. Click links on the left for instructions to submit any type of claim, request a coverage change, request a certificate of coverage and view schedules.

Where to Submit Claims

  • All property and liability claims: submit through the MCIT member portal.
  • Workers’ compensation claims:
    • Call the Workplace Injury Hotline at 1.833.523.0277 at time of injury for situations that are not emergencies or if an employee has not already sought medical care. Learn more about the Workplace Injury Hotline …
    • If the employee has already sought medical attention, do not call the hotline. Submit the claim through the MCIT member portal.

Woman with arm wrapped in bandage and in a sling being examined by a medical provider.Workers’ Compensation Guides and Forms

Click the links below to access workers’ compensation guides and other forms, such as the Employee Accident Report and Workers’ Compensation Claims Guide.

Member Responsibilities for State Reporting of Employee Injuries

MCIT cannot and does not submit required reports to the Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MNOSHA) or Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry on behalf of members. It is the member’s responsibility to report directly to the state. See below for when this is required by both agencies.

MNOSHA Reporting Requirements for Fatalities, Inpatient Hospitalizations, Other Serious Injuries

Minnesota employers must report the following to Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MNOSHA):

  • all work-related fatalities within eight hours
  • all work-related inpatient hospitalizations within 24 hours
  • all work-related amputations within 24 hours
  • all work-related losses of an eye within 24 hours

To file a report, the employer must call MNOSHA Compliance during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday: 651.284.5050 or toll-free 1.877.470.6742.

Outside of MNOSHA Compliance business hours, on a weekend or holiday, the employer must call federal OSHA at 1.800.321.6742.

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Workers’ Compensation Reporting Requirements

Workplace fatalities and serious injuries must be reported to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry within 48 hours via telephone at 651.284.5005 (press 3) or 1.800.342.5354 (press 3) , or encrypted email to to be followed by the First Report of Injury form.

building blown down by tornado with debris surrounding large piece of road equipmentWhen to Report Property, Liability Claims

All MCIT auto, property, liability, data compromise/cyber-attack and bond claims should be reported as soon as possible.

Contact the MCIT property/casualty claims manager at 1.866.547.6516, ext. 6442 or immediately if:

  • You receive or are served any of the following:
    • summons and complaint
    • notice from the Minnesota Department of Human Rights
    • notice from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
  • You become aware of any nonemployee fatality or serious injury. (For employee fatalities or injuries, contact MCIT’s workers’ compensation claims manager at 1.866.547.6516 or afterhours at 651.343.4359.)

MCIT business hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Claim emergencies can be reported 24 hours a day by calling 1.866.547.6516.

What to Do When You Receive Notice of a Possible Property or Liability Claim

  • Submit the claim to MCIT.
  • Direct your officials and employees that they should not speak with attorneys, insurance company representatives or any other parties not associated with MCIT. Refer all inquiries to MCIT.
  • In cases involving vandalism or theft, notify the appropriate authorities so that MCIT may request their investigative report for the claim file.

Property and Liability Guides and Other Forms

Data Requests and Coverage Changes

MCIT requests various data from members throughout the year to help determine contribution rates. To ensure that members have coverage for their property, vehicles and equipment when a loss occurs, it is important that members keep their schedules updated. The below links take you to more information to help you understand the data reporting cycle and how to maintain accurate schedules:

Certificate of MCIT Coverage

To request a certificate of coverage, members must complete the online form in the member portal. 

Note: To view PDFs, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in, which can be downloaded at no cost from Adobe’s website.