Date: January 2020
County fairs are an integral part of Minnesota culture, but for fairs to be a positive force in the community, they need to be safe. The public puts its trust in an agricultural society (a.k.a. fair board) to ensure that they have a positive experience when attending the fair and other events at the fairgrounds.
Producing a county fair is a large responsibility that includes maintaining a safe environment for workers, volunteers, vendors and attendees, as well as protecting fair resources. The “Agricultural Societies Loss Prevention Best Practices Guide” provides information and recommendations to help recognize and reduce risks and hazards associated with fair operations and protect such organizations from liability and loss.
Guide Addresses 3 General Areas
This guide is designed to help agricultural societies make informed decisions about how to protect their organizations, property, fairgoers and users of the facilities. The book is divided into three general areas of concern:
- Governance concerns (e.g., Open Meeting Law compliance and safeguarding private information), Americans with Disabilities Act compliance and immunity defenses related to fairgrounds (Chapters 1-3): This guide presumes that agricultural societies are formed under Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 38, which qualifies them as municipalities subject to certain laws, protections and regulations. Agricultural societies must adhere to various laws protecting people’s rights and for conducting its business in the open, as well as having potential immunities apply to their operations. These chapters discuss pertinent details for fair operations relative to these laws.
- Risk management (Chapters 4-12): From working with volunteers, vendors and contractors, these topics cover a range of issues that could potentially be open to risk exposure and offer recommendations to limit or manage the exposures.
- Safety recommendations (Chapters 13-32): Common activities and structures at fairgrounds are discussed. Topics covered target specific equipment, work processes and policies or programs that should be in place as part of an overall safety program. Best practices are outlined to help educate staff and volunteers to reduce those exposures.
Several check lists are provided, as well. These can be used to determine quickly how well the organization is complying with laws and safety programs, as well as can identify safety hazards and allow for action items to be developed to remedy the identified exposures.
Download Book or Specific Chapters
Below are links to PDFs of the full Agricultural Society Loss Prevention Best Practices Guide and individual chapters and checklists from the guide. Click on the item you want to view or download .
- Download File "Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Introduction_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "1_Governance_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "2_ADA_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "3_Immunities_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "4_Alcohol Policies_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "5_Camping_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "6_Property and Injury Claims_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "7_Facility Use and Lease Agreements_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "8_Independent Contractors_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "9_Property Coverage_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "10_Special Events_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "11_Vendors and Exhibitors_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "12_Volunteers_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "13_Animal Contact_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "14_Bleachers and Grandstands_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "15_Chemical Safety_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "16_Cooking Facilities_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "17_Electrical_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "18_Emergency Action Plans_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "19_Ergonomics_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "20_Fire Prevention_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "21_First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogens_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "22_Grounds Keeping_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "23_Housekeeping_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "24_Inflatable Amusements_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "25_Overhead Garage Doors_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "26_People Movers and Hayrides_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "27_Propane Storage_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "28_Sanitation_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "29_Security_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "30_Site Control_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "31_Tools and Equipment_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "32_Vehicle Use_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist_Risk Management_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist_Fair Policies_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist_All Buildings_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist Supplement_Cooking Facilities_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist Supplement_Grandstands and Bleachers_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist Supplement_Maintenance Shop-Storage Rooms_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist Supplement_Outdoor Grounds-Campling-Event Spaces_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"
- Download File "Checklist Supplement_Restrooms_Agriculture_Society_Loss_Prevention_Best_Practices_Guide_01-2020"