Quick Takes are scripts that serve as short safety talks to remind staff about safe work practices. This Quick Take covers methods to identify symptoms of cold-related illness and methods to prevent it. Quick Takes help keep safety in the forefront of employees’ minds and demonstrate a commitment to safety on the part of the organization by improving safety culture. The Quick Take also offers an opportunity for employees to ask questions, discuss safety topics and develop solutions to specific hazards while encouraging communication.
Cold-related Illness Prevention Quick Take Training Overview and Objectives
- Overview: Discusses methods to identify and prevent cold-related illnesses.
- Purpose: Refresh employees about cold stress and other cold-related illnesses: symptom identification, treatment and prevention.
- Read and become familiar with this Quick Take. Change as needed to reflect procedures and personnel in your department.
- Review emergency action plans for your organization with regard to summoning emergency response.
- Handout: Quick Review of Safety: Cold-related Illness Prevention
Notes: For more information about ways to reduce cold exposure risk, refer to the “Temperature Extremes” chapter in the MCIT resource, Public Works Loss Prevention Best Practices Guide.
Supervisors typically give the Quick Take talks during regularly scheduled or informal meetings. To improve their effectiveness as a training tool, all Quick Takes should be modified to reflect the needs and situations of your specific workplace. Quick Takes are not designed to take the place of regular formal training.