Quick Takes are scripts that serve as short safety talks to remind staff about safe work practices. This Driving Quick Take on Safety focuses on various defensive driving topics, such as pre-drive planning, techniques and tips to prevent accidents while driving. Quick Takes help keep safety in the forefront of employees’ minds and demonstrate a commitment to safety on the part of the organization by improving safety culture. The Quick Take also offers an opportunity for employees to ask questions, discuss safety topics and develop solutions to specific hazards while encouraging communication.
Defensive Driving Quick Take Training Overview and Objectives
- Overview: Covers various defensive driving topics, such as pre-drive planning, techniques and tips to prevent accidents while driving.
- Purpose: To provide employees safe driving tips to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Preparation: Read and become familiar with this Quick Take and review driving policies for your organization. Change this Quick Take as needed to reflect procedures and personnel in your department.
- Handouts: Quick Review of Safety—Defensive Driving
- MCIT sponsors up to two in-person defensive driving classes for its members each year at no cost. These training sessions are two hours and cover the Quick Take on Defensive Driving topics and more in greater detail. For more information, visit MCIT.org/defensive-driving.
- The MCIT Video LIbrary includes a number of driving safety training items that can be borrowed for up to three weeks at no cost. Learn more at MCIT.org/video-library/.
- Other driving related Quick Takes are Safer Travel in Winter Storms, Procedures for After an Auto Accident, Deer-vehicle Collisions, Distracted Driving and Fatigue: Drowsy Driving.
Supervisors typically give the Quick Take talks during regularly scheduled or informal meetings. To improve their effectiveness as a training tool, all Quick Takes should be modified to reflect the needs and situations of your specific workplace. Quick Takes are not designed to take the place of regular formal training.