Reduce Risks of Vehicle Operations
Ensuring the safe and effective operation of vehicles is essential to the member’s ability to continue to serve the public and protect employees. Risks range from safety and legal compliance to liability and coverage issues.
It is incumbent upon MCIT members to focus on strategies to reduce the risks related to the operation of their vehicles.
The guide Essentials of Risk Management for Motor Vehicles provides an overview of several key risks of motor vehicle use for local public entities and provides strategies members can use to manage and minimize them. The guide is broken into these categories of discussion:
- Federal and state statutory requirements related to motor vehicle use.
- Coverage provided through MCIT.
- Safety best practices.
- Duties members have after a loss, including an explanation of the claim process.
When appropriate, references to additional resources have been included to help manage risks associated with motor vehicle use.
Risk Management Consultants Offer More Insights
- Quick Takes on Safety short training scripts and handouts related to driving concerns
- Deer-vehicle collision awareness and prevention materials
- Defensive driving training
- Minnesota Safety Council