Risk Exposures for SWCDs and How to Manage Them
Ten areas generate the most questions and concerns from soil and water conservation districts regarding risk management. MCIT encourages members to plan ahead to minimize risks as much as possible.
MCIT risk management consultants are available to assist MCIT members that are SWCDs with the items below. Members can call their consultant to set up a meeting to discuss them, to review the Risk Management Resources for Soil and Water Conservation Districts booklet or to receive a risk management perspective on other concerns.
The 10 essentials ares of risk management for soil and water conservation districts:
- Property coverage
- Contents and Inland Marine coverage
- Equipment rental programs
- Chemical applications, controlled burns, tree sales and other special events
- Volunteer coverage
- Intern coverage
- SWCDs and the property of others
- Contract procedures and policies
- Claims reporting
- MCIT resources
More Resources, Tools
- Members are encouraged to contact their MCIT risk management and loss control consultants when they have questions regarding risk management and safety for their operations.
- Members should work with their legal counsel when setting up policies and procedures to ensure the SWCD is in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
- The Resource Library includes a number of articles related to risk management, such as contracts, volunteers and coverage; workplace safety and other concerns related to SWCD activities.
- The Step Wisely program includes valuable tools to help prevent slip, trip and fall accidents.
- Through MCIT, members have access to other services that may be beneficial to SWCD operations, such as fire protection assessments and specialized coverage placement.
- The Employee Assistance Program provides no-cost, confidential counseling for MCIT member employees and their dependents for personal concerns.
- All MCIT member organizations are members of the Minnesota Safety Council, giving them access to no-cost or reduced-fee services, including training classes and videos, consultation services and written educational resources.