Solid waste management facilities and operations come with a variety of risks to the public and employees. The nature of the work and equipment used can sometimes cause people and property to harm. Keeping employees and the visiting public safe should be a priority.
MCIT developed the Solid Waste Management Loss Prevention Best Practices Guide to provide members information and recommendations to help recognize and reduce hazards common to solid waste management facilities/operations. Each topic within the guide describes the typical safety exposures surrounding equipment and work tasks for solid waste management. Best practices are then outlined to help educate employees and reduce those exposures.
Guide Addresses 2 General Areas
- Equipment and Processes: Each of these chapters describes hazards related to the topic and then offers guidelines or best practices to help recognize and reduce those hazards. The check list can be used as a targeted safety audit.
- Policies and Programs: Each of these chapters identifies policies and programs that should be in place as part of an overall safety program. The narratives outline the components that are required in the specific safety program, and the checkup can be used to determine quickly if all the components of the program are in place.
Any of the topics in the Solid Waste Management Loss Prevention Best Practices Guide can be used to initiate or augment regular safety talks or “toolbox talks.” A toolbox talk is a short discussion on one safety topic that is often held at weekly staff meetings. These discussions help give priority to safety and bolster previous training.
- Members are encouraged to contact their MCIT loss control and risk management consultants when they have questions regarding solid waste management operations from a safety and risk management standpoint.
- Members should work with the county attorney or other legal counsel when setting up policies and procedures to ensure the entity is in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
- The Resource Library includes a number of articles related to safety in the workplace and other concerns related to solid waste management operations.
- All MCIT member organizations are members of the Minnesota Safety Council, giving them access to no-cost or reduced-fee services, including training classes and videos, consultation services and written educational resources.